Book 6 Test 1 Section 2
Delivering The Goods
Assumed (Adjective) Synonym: Suppose
That you suppose to be true or to exist
- The assumed differences between the two states.
Startling (Adjective) Synonym: Surprising
Extremely unusual and surprising
- Startling revelations in the Sunday papers
(of a colour) extremely bright
- Her skin was a startling white.
Barriers (Noun) Synonym: Hindrance
An object like a fence that prevents people from moving forward from one place to another
- The crowd had to stand behind barriers.
Problem, rule or situation that prevents somebody from doing something, or that makes something impossible
- The removal of trade barriers.
Competitive (Adjective) Synonym: Ambitious
Used to describe a situation in which people or organizations compete against each other
- Graduates have to fight for jobs in a highly competitive market
Decline (noun) Synonym: Down
A continuous decrease in the number, value, quality, etc
- The company reported a small decline in its profits.
- An increase in cars has resulted in the decline of public transport.
Regulation (noun) Synonym: Rules
an official rule made by a government or some other authority
- Employee must follow all the rules regulations of their organization
Disproportion (adverb) Synonym: Unequal
In a way that is too large or too small when compared with something else (Need to be rewised)
- The lower-paid spend a disproportionately large amount of their earnings on food.
Globalization (noun) Synonym: Proliferation
The fact that different cultures and economic systems around the world are becoming connected and similar to each other because of the influence of large multinational companies and of improved communication
- The globalization opens new vistas of trade..
Haulier (noun) Synonym: Transporter
A person or company, whose business is transporting goods by road or railway/railroad
- Motorists and hauliers should expect at least a recognition of their plight.
- 'British hauliers stringently enforce the restrictions on driving hours because penalties are harsh.
Locomotives (noun) Synonym: Engine
A railway engine that pulls a train
- A robust locomotive was pulling heavy woods.
Monopoly (in/of/on something) the complete control of trade in particular goods or the supply of a particular service; a type of goods or a service that is controlled in this way
- In the past, central government had a monopoly on television broadcasting.
- Electricity, gas and water were considered to be natural monopolies.
Obstacle (noun) Synonym: Hindrance
Obstacle (to something/to doing something) a situation, an event, etc. that makes it difficult for you to do or achieve something
- A lack of qualifications can be a major obstacle to finding a job.
Quotas ( noun) Synonym: share, portion
The limited number or amount of people or things that is officially allowed
- to introduce a strict import quota on grains quota system for accepting refugees