IELTS Book 6 Test 1 Section 1
Australia's Sporting Success
Demolish (verb) Synonym: Annihilate, Dilapidate
To pull or knock down a building Source: https://pixabay.com, 2017
- The factory is due to be demolished next year
To show that an idea or theory is completely wrong
- A recent book has demolished this theory.
To defeat somebody easily and completely ·
- They demolished New Zealand 44–6 in the final.
Embed (verb) Synonym: Enclose, Fix
To fix something firmly into a substance or solid object
- The bullet embedded itself in the wall.
To send a journalist, photographer, etc. to an area where there is fighting, so that he or she can travel with the army and report what is happening
- Embedded reporters in the war zone
Immune (adjective) Synonym: Invulnerable, Resistant
Immune (to something) that cannot catch or be affected by a particular disease or illness
- Adults are often immune to German measles. Source: https://pixabay.com, 2017
Immune (to something) not affected by something.
- You'll eventually become immune to criticism.
Immune (from something) protected from something and therefore able to avoid it
- Not even the President’s wife was immune from criticism by the press.
Replicate (verb) Synonym: Copy
Replicate something (formal) to copy something exactly
- Subsequent experiments failed to replicate these findings.
- The drug prevents the virus from replicating itself.
Saliva (noun) Synonym: Drool
The liquid that is produced in your mouth that helps you to swallow food
- Salive plays an important role in food digestion.
Swivel (noun) Synonym: Revolve
Often used as an adjective) A device used to connect two parts of an object
together, allowing one part to turn around without moving the other
- A swivel chair (one on which the seat turns around without moving the base)
Unobtrusive (adjective) Synonym: Unassuming
Not attracting unnecessary attention
- The service at the hotel is efficient and unobtrusive.
Wring (verb) Synonym: Twist
Wring something (out) to twist and squeeze clothes, etc. in order to get the water out of them https://pixabay.com, 2017
- She was wringing her clothes to dry them
Reference: Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
For Free Pictures: : https://pixabay.com, 2017