Book 6 Test 2 Section 2
Greying Population Stays in the Pink
Accelerate (verb) Synonym: Quicken
To happen or to make something happen faster or earlier than expected
- Inflation continues to accelerate.
- Exposure to the sun can accelerate the ageing process.
Decline (noun) Synonym: Decrease
Decline (in something) | decline (of something) a continuous decrease in the number, value, quality, etc. of something
- A rapid/sharp/gradual decline-urban/economic decline
- The company reported a small decline in its profits.
Epidemic (noun) Synonym: Disease
A large number of cases of a particular disease happening at the same time in a particular community
- the outbreak of a flu epidemican epidemic of measles
- Effectively, tobacco companies will be exporting an epidemic of smoking-related diseases, the campaign suggests.
Predecessor (noun) Synonym: Precursor
A person who did a job before somebody else
- The new president reversed many of the policies of his predecessor.his immediate predecessor in the postmy predecessor at the Ministry of Defence
A thing, such as a machine, that has been followed or replaced by something else
- This computer has a larger memory than its predecessor.
Surge (verb) Synonym: Increase
To move quickly and with force in a particular direction
- The gates opened and the crowd surged forward.
- Flood waters surged into their homes.He surged past the other runners on the last lap.
To fill somebody with a strong feeling
- Relief surged through her.
To suddenly increase in value
- Share prices surged.
- Related noun upsurge
Reference : Oxford Advanced Learner Dictionary