Book 6 Test 2 Section 3
Convenience (noun) Synonym: Comfort
The quality of being useful, easy or suitable for somebody
- We have provided seats for the convenience of our customers.
Conviction (noun) Synonym: Belief
Conviction (for something) the act of finding somebody guilty of a crime in court; the fact of having been found guilty
- She has six previous convictions for theft.
- He plans to appeal against his conviction.
Feats (noun) Synonym: Accomplishment
An action or a piece of work that needs skill, strength or courage
- The tunnel is a brilliant feat of engineering.to perform/attempt/achieve astonishing feats
- That was no mean feat (= it was difficult to do)
Hindrance (noun) Synonym: Obstacle
A person or thing that makes it more difficult for somebody to do something or for something to happen
- To be honest, she was more of a hindrance than a help.
- The high price is a major hindrance to potential buyers.
The act of making it more difficult for somebody to do something or for something to happen
- They were able to complete their journey without further hindrance.
Indigenous (adjective) Synonym: Native
Belonging to a particular place rather than coming to it from somewhere else
- The indigenous peoples/languages of the area indigenous to…
- The kangaroo is indigenous to Australia.
Indispensable (adjective) Synonym: Essential
Too important to be without
- Cars have become an indispensable part of our lives.
Indispensable to somebody/something
- She made herself indispensable to the department
Indispensable for something/for doing something
- A good dictionary is indispensable for learning a foreign language.
Numerate (adjective) Synonym: Counting
Having a good basic knowledge of mathematics; able to understand and work with numbers
- All students should be numerate and literate when they leave school.
Paramount (adjective) Synonym: Predominant
More important than anything else
- This matter is of paramount importance.
- Safety is paramount.
Pebbles (noun) Synonym: Boulder
A smooth, round stone that is found in or near water
- a pebble beach